Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Catching My Breath

During lunchtime today in front of Penn Station there was a man playing a steel drum. Whenever I hear steel drums it reminds me of Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

All through the 70s there was a group of steel drums that played a few shows every day right across from the Swiss Family Treehouse. We usually caught at least one show each day whenever we were there, which was often.

I stopped for a moment to listen. I closed my eyes and could hear the music from the treehouse. I could hear the drums that play outside of the Tiki Room. I could hear the boats loading at the Jungle Cruise. I could hear the crowds all around me. For a few minutes my eyes stung; I was right there.

It never stops amazing me how certain songs, sounds, or smells can take me right back to a place and time. It is so powerful it can cause me to catch my breath.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I think that's the best feeling in the world, remembering something so precious as that from something so simple.

FoxxFur said...

Hi there! This is Foxxy from Passport to Dreams! Thanks very much for your feedback on my audio project. Now, perchance, do all those tapes your Dad took at Magic Kingdom still exist? They could be literally invaluable to early music researchers such as myself. :)

I'm going to cross post this at the original post as well just to be safe. Thanks! :)

FoxxFur said...

Hi!

This is Foxx from Passport to Dreams again, I hope you still check this account!

About a year ago we were in contact due to my "Musical Souvenir of Walt Disney World", and your recollection of your father and of the Main Street music in particular. That recollection has been very valuable to me over the past year as I've been hunting down and re-assembling the hour long Main Street loops from the mid-70s; you can hear them on my blog.

I'd like to touch base with you again to get more details on your family's experiences with Disney Background Music and the Main Street music in particular, both for my own research as well as for (partial) publication on my blog.

Please contact me through my blog or directly at chrisfoxx85 at yahoo dot com. Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon!