Monday, May 21, 2007

Most of 'em shock the hell outta me

Let me just start out by saying that I do not have a problem with women breast feeding their babies. Nope, not one bit. And I don't have a problem with them doing it in public. I guess I'm just shocked at what people do and where and how they choose to do it.

I left work tonight around 6:00pm. As I was walking to the subway I saw a woman standing in front of Madison Square Guarden. Lots of people going down to the Long Island Railroad and NJ Transit. As I get closer I see that the woman is breast feeding her baby right there on the street (she's standing--got to give her props for that) and she's singing the ABC song to her baby. She has her t-shirt pulled up exposing all of her breast (except for the nipple which is in the baby's mouth).

My Aunt Jane used to breast feed her son in public back in the 70s if she happened to be out at feeding time. What I remember is that she always threw a diaper over her shoulder and down over the baby. You couldn't see what was happening though you knew what she was doing. And she would try and sit out of the way. She would often have men and women come up to her and yell that this was a terrible thing she was doing and how could she do this in public. I never understood what was so upsetting to them since you couldn't see anything.

So when I saw this woman today it made me think of my Aunt Jane and how much of a lady she was in everything she did. She did the best for her child yet always tried to be respectful of others. I had to resist the urge to stop and ask that women to throw a diaper over her shoulder but I figured I would be like all those people who said things to Aunt Jane.

This all just pointed out to me that I'm getting older and often wish for the way things were.

No comments: