Thursday, May 17, 2007

That's the fork I knew

My husband and I have different schedules so I'm on my own five nights a week. I had a dentist appointment during my lunch time today, to have a chipped crown fixed, so didn't eat lunch due to a very numb mouth. By quitin' time I was starved. I decided to go to one of our favorite restaurants Red Eye Grill.

I get my favorite table, say hi to the servers that know us by name (we are there at least once a week), and settle in a quiet corner in the bar area with my New York Magazine crossword puzzle. I order my usual: french onion soup and a cobb salad. Let me just say now that the soup is so fab I actually dream about it. Amazing.

Not too long after I order a group of business men come in and take over the opposite corner (I'm at a 2-top next to the bar). There is a corner table between us in the "L" shaped space. My soup comes and everything fades away as I partake of the nectar. Next thing I know I'm being pulled from my dream-like state by 3 people moving into the corner space next to me. I try to ignore them and go back to my soup, ahhhhh.

The runner brings my salad and prepares it (they toss it table side). So I find myself hearing the woman less than 12" from me blabbing on and on about being vice president of this and vice president of that. And how on this trip she did this for work and on and on. Then she starts talking about a trip to Mexico and I mentally turn all my attention to what she is saying.

The reason for this being that my husband is Mexican. I spend a LOT of time in Mexico. I know Mexico. The man with her says how he doesn't want to travel there as he has a sensitive stomach. She starts saying how on every trip she has had a little bit of Montezuma's revenge. They are all blaming it on the water. Oh God how I want to butt into the conversation. Yes, you can get sick if you drink tap water (hell, my in-laws won't drink the tap water), but 9 times out of 10 you have the runs because you are drinking a lot of alcohol. Most people get sick on vacation because they are eating and drinking much differently than at home. Shit, I get the runs a tad when I go back to visit my mom in the mid-west--damn well water.

But nooooo, it's Mexico's fault you are sick. Then she starts blabbing about the time she got sick while in Merida. The man asks where this is and she says it is a town next to the ruins of Chichen Itza. Sigh. Lady, it is the capitol of the state of Yucatan and it is about a 2 hour drive west of Chichen Itza. And it has too many people in it to be even thought of as a town.

I know I'm getting petty; to most people who don't spend a lot of time there this is how it seems to them. But I just hate having to eat my meal listening to a know-it-all. She then proceeded to tell the ingredients in her Cosmopolitan. Just let me say this, she was wrong. Hehe.

Oh, and one last thing. During my salad more and more people join this group and I'm starting to feel boxed in, but don't want to rush my lovely dinner. There is now a woman sitting on the one long bench that we all share just a foot away from me. She turns her head to the right (towards me) and slightly down while she puts her hand in front of her face so she doesn't cough on the rest of her group. But the way she has her hand forces all the cough ON TO ME!!!! EEEEEWWWW. I quickly asked for the check and went home.

No comments: