Monday, November 3, 2008

The Big Vote

Well, tomorrow is the big day: casting the vote. In February, when we moved from Brooklyn back to Manhattan, I went to the voters Web site to do my change of address. An hour later I still had not figured out what to do. So I decided I would do it later.

Fast forward to October and I realized I only had a few days to make the deadline. So back I went to the site. Two hours later I finally get the form filled out. I kept having trouble because everytime I hit PRINT, part of what I filled out changed or dissappeared. Crap. So I took one of the bad printouts and filled in/wrote over the incorrect items, signed it, and dropped it in the mail.

Ten days later I get a letter from them telling me all that is wrong with my re-registration. I fixed it and mailed it back the next day.

Friday, before I left work, I called the NY Voters yahoos and asked what was up. Well, I'm registered, but still in Brooklyn. I was told to show up tomorrow, state my case, and see if they will let me do a paper ballot.

The lines are probably going to be CRAZY long tomorrow. But how pissed will I be if I show up, stand in that REALLY lone line, only to be told: sorry, you aren't registered here.

The point of all this is, that for all you hear about "make sure you vote" "you must vote, it's your right" blah, blah, blah, they sure don't make it as easy as it could be with the age of the internet.

Sigh.

1 comment:

JJ said...

Hi there Dichuy! I had no idea you had a blog and I see that you blog when the spirit moves you, but I am still adding you to my reader list in the hopes that I will be able to read more of you ~ remember me? I'm Joyce, used to live in Cancun, I've been out to your property and everything :)

I love your writing style, kinda reminds me of me, but, you know, you're a little bit more exciting. Living in Portland isn't as exciting as one might think...